Historic Eras

Home // History // Historic Eras
Historic Eras
The Roman Villa in Agia Efimia
The villa has a “Π” shaped ground plan with rooms built around a courtyard. The building was abandoned in the Late Roman period and it was used as a burial place, judging by the tile-covered graves that were found during excavation.
Sarcophagus in Fiscardo
This Sarcophagus is part of the Roman cemetery in Fiscardo and it is decorated with embossed “Niki” sculptures, garlands and masks.
Mazarakata Tombs
This is the largest cemetery of the Mycenaean period the ruins of the Mycenaean era, witness to the culture that flourished in this region. The cemetery, which was found intact, is of great importance. The cemetery was found in 1813 by Colonel De Bosset.
The Reveal of Odysseus
Odysseus turning his arrows on the Suitors and with the help of Athena and his son, Telemachus, he kills all the Suitors.
Archaeological site of Sami
The earliest human habitation in Sami goes back to the Early Helladic period (3rd millennium BC), according to the results of rescue excavations within the present day city. It was an independent and autonomous city, conducted its own foreign policy and minted bronze and silver currency, bearing its monogram and symbols relating to the religious beliefs and productive activities of its inhabitants; just like the city-states of Krani, Pali, and Pronnoi.
The legendary king Odysseus “the resourceful”
The leader and warrior who never let difficulties get him down and always found the right solution to every puzzle thrown at him. Odysseus king of Ithaca, is one of the most famous characters in ancient Greek legends, not only for his triumph in the Trojan War but also because of his long journey to return back home.
The Roman Cemetery of Fiscardo
The Roman cemetery came to light by chance. Excavations revealed parts of a large graveyard, and the tombs show great variation in their architectural form and offerings were found inside them such as pottery and glass vases, jewellery, metal objects and coins.
Roman Villa in Skala
In 1956, the remains of a roman mansion were discovered during excavations. One of the most impressive mosaics can be found in the second floor and it represents an allegoric picture of Fthonos, presenting himself as a young woman suffering, when seeing other people’s happiness.
It is the largest known beehive-shaped tomb in the Ionian Islands and is unique of its kind. The tomb itself is considered to be a royal grave and golden jewellery, royal seals and precious stones accompanied the tomb.
The Tholos Tomb at Tzanata
They are considered to be one of the most visited archaeological monuments in Kefalonia because they are made of gigantic rocks and were believed to have been built by one-eyed giants, who according to Greek mythology are called Cyclops.
The Cyclopean Walls of ancient Krani
previous arrowprevious arrow
next arrownext arrow
Shadow
Slider

 

The island during the Middle Ages
During the Middle Ages, the island was the center of the Byzantine theme of Cephallenia.
The Turkish rule lasted only until 1500
The Turkish rule lasted only until 1500, when Cephalonia was captured by a Spanish-Venetian army, a rare Venetian success in the Second Ottoman–Venetian War. From then on Cephalonia and Ithaca remained overseas colonies of the Venetian Republic until its very end
The Ottomans
After 1185 it became part of the County palatine of Cephalonia and Ithaca under the Kingdom of Naples until its last Count was defeated and the island conquered by the Ottomans in 1479.
previous arrowprevious arrow
next arrownext arrow
Shadow
Slider
The Venetian Rule
Cephalonia, after sixteen years of Turkish occupation (1484–1500), became part of the Stato da Mar (“Domains of the Sea" was the name given to the Republic of Venice's maritime and overseas possessions) on 24 December 1500, with the Siege of the Castle of St. George.
Venetian merchant ship
The Ionian economy during the Venetian period was largely based on exporting local products. On the islands of Cephallonia and Zante the main exports were raisins, olive oil and wine. One of the most significant exports was olive oil. Groves of olive trees were planted throughout the islands during the Venetian period as olive oil was important to Venice's economy.
Legacy
Throughout Venice's old possessions, but above all in the Ionian islands, the memory is deeply rooted in the population.Because of the long Venetian period, the manners and traditions of the inhabitants of the Ionian Islands are a mixture of Greek and Italian. The Venetian influence is illustrated in all aspects of culture and everyday life.
The Venetian Castle of Assos
The castle is located on top of the Assos peninsula and it is the largest among the two castles in Kefalonia. It was built by the Venetians in the 16th century on the west coast of the island in order to protect Assos village from pirates.
The Saint George''s Castle
From 300 meters high, the castle has been keeping an eye on everything since it was built 800 years ago.
It was the place of residence for nobles and officials and has been the capital of Kefalonia for centuries.
The old capital
Under the Venetians, the 16 acres of Saint George's Castle hosted a small city. Within a 600-metre perimetre of walls, ramparts and watchtowers could spot pirate ships as far as 20 miles away on a clear day.
Today, the castle is ruined and only a few buildings survive. It was not only the damage over time and wars. This castle also suffered a lot from the earthquake that hit Kefalonia in 1953.
Relics of the past
previous arrowprevious arrow
next arrownext arrow
Shadow
Slider
The British Rule
Great Britain mounted a blockade on the Ionian Islands as part of the war against Napoleon, and they hoisted the British flag above the castle of Zakynthos. Cephalonia and Ithaca soon surrendered, and the British installed provisional governments. The treaty of Paris in 1815 recognised the United States of the Ionian Islands and decreed that it become a British protectorate.
The De Bosset Bridge
De Bosset Bridge is the largest stone bridge on a sea water body and has been in existence since 1813, when the Swiss engineer Charles Philippe De Bosset was employed by the British Army.
The “Kolona” monument
As you pass the De Bosset bridge upon arrival in the island’s capital, a four faced symmetrical obelisk made up of carved rocks rises from the sea. This monument called “Kolona” existent since 1813, was the Kefalonian Parliament’s symbol of gratitude to Great Britain.
The Municipal Theatre “Kefalos
This beautiful theatre is one of the largest and oldest in Greece. It looks impressive in its neoclassical architecture and the big yard in front of it. The theatre was inaugurated in 1858, when Kefalonia and all the Ionian islands were under the British rule. In fact, the first performance to take place there was the famous opera "La Traviata" by Giuseppe Verdi.
Napier’s Garden
In the early 19th century, when the island was a British protectorate, General Sir Charles James Napier, who had been appointed to the office of resident of Kefallonia, discovered much to his chagrin that in Argostoli, his new posting, there was no garden where his children could play! Wasting no time, he purchased a vineyard and with the assistance of local architects turned it into an elevated wooded park that has since become known as “Napier’s Garden”.
The End of British Rule
Cephalonia, along with the other islands, was transferred to Greece in 1864 as a gesture of goodwill when the British-backed Prince William of Denmark became King George the First of the Hellenes.
previous arrowprevious arrow
next arrownext arrow
Shadow
Slider
The beauty of the past
The island has a long, multicultural history from conquerors of the past that have left traces visible today.
Italian, Neoclassical & Baroque Influences
Due to its separation from the rest of Greece caused by the occupation of the island from the Franks, the Venetians and the British, the local architecture was established mostly by the Venetian and Neoclassical styles.
The De Bosset Bridge
De Bosset Bridge is the largest stone bridge on a sea water body and has been in existence since 1813, when the Swiss engineer Charles Philippe De Bosset was employed by the British Army.
Views for the Lighthouse of St. Theodori
The lighthouse offers not only a guiding light for the incoming and outgoing ships, but also a classical, romantic spot for locals and visitors. It is a unique circular structure, based on 20 white Doric architectural style columns and its tower is 8 m tall. It was built when Charles Napier was governor of Kefalonia, in 1828.
Windmills on Koutavos Lake
The lagoon of Koutavos offers a breathtaking greenery of the city of Argostoli. It is a small green paradise near the noisy capital city. The shallowness was characterized particularly dangerous in the past (before the bridge was built) because of the marshy nature.
The Port of Argostoli
Picturesque and lively the port of Argostoli used to be filled with travelers, merchants and wandering sailors.
The Port of Argostoli
The town of Argostoli on the narrow Fanari peninsula projecting out from Argostoli Gulf was the nerve centre for all trade and commerce activities for the villagers in the island. But the inlet separated Argostoli from mainland Kefalonia made it compulsory to travel around the perimeter of the 5 km long inlet.
Views from Above
Tile rooftops, light colors, traditional balconies and a mixture of Neoclassical and baroque elements are the main characteristics of the architecture of Kefalonia. All dominated by the power of nature with trees and wild greenery growing through the stones, and create the absolute time travelling sense.
Passing by the De Bosset Bridge
The to-be-solved transportation problems of the villagers allayed their fears about possible invasions and the De-Bosset Bridge was completed and remained the boundary between the sea and Koutavos lagoon.
previous arrowprevious arrow
next arrownext arrow
Shadow
Slider

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.